The latest craze on TikTok is to use a filter that makes it look like you’re crying. It’s a hilarious prank to play while taking a video of someone else and asking them why they’re so upset.
The reason you’re reading this is because you can’t work out how to get this effect in TikTok – or maybe Instagram – and you want to know how everyone is able to post these videos.
Fortunately, the solution is relatively simple: it’s a Snapchat filter. If you already have a Snapchat account and the app, you’re set. If not, then you’ll need to create one after installing the Snapchat app. Note that you’ll need to enter your email address and your phone number to make the account.
In order to record a video, or just take a photo, with the Crying filter, here’s what to do.
- Open the Snapchat app and tap the magnifying glass icon at the top.
- Search for ‘crying face’ and find the official Snapchat filter in the list of results.
- Tap on it and the filter will be enabled.
- Now, tap and hold the filter icon at the bottom of the screen to record your video.
- Instead of uploading it to Snapchat, tap the icon at the bottom of the screen (arrowed).
- You might be asked to give permission to allow Snapchat to access your photos, so grant this if prompted. Otherwise, your video can’t be saved to your phone.
- Now, open TikTok and instead of recording a video, you need to tap the Upload button to the right of the record button. Select the video from your camera roll, add any music, effects, text and stickers, add a description and you can post your crying video.
Why are the crying videos so popular on TikTok?
The reason crying videos have gone viral is because they’re so funny. And they’re funny because you’re not actually crying: you’re probably laughing at the sight of seeing your face looking so miserable. And it’s even funnier when you do laugh because the filter makes you look even unhappier.
Of course, the videos that make people laugh the most is when you point the camera at people who don’t realise you’re using the filter and can’t understand why you’re saying they look sad, and asking them why they’re not smiling.
Here are a couple of examples:
@antanddec Having a bawl with this one 😂
♬ original sound – Ant & Dec
In this example, a man introduces his cousin and pretends to take a photo. He asks his partner to smile as she looks upset. The cousin can’t stop laughing: he’s clearly in on the prank:
@moontellthat This filter sent me over the Moon 😂
♬ original sound – MOONTELLTHAT
So, now you know how to use the crying filter on TikTok, or whichever social app you like.