WhatsApp is one of the biggest messaging apps and caters to more than 2 billion users worldwide. To bring people together, it has introduced cool features such as WhatsApp Communities, share your live location in WhatsApp, and even the ability to message yourself in WhatsApp. The company offers a ton of useful features but skimps on basic functionality, i.e. the ability to send a message to WhatsApp users without saving their phone number. However, there are several workarounds to this problem, and we will explain how you can easily message someone on WhatsApp without adding their contact number.
In this guide, we have included six different methods to send WhatsApp messages without saving phone numbers. From the new message yourself and “click-to-chat” feature to iPhone shortcuts and third-party apps, we have added them all here. Use the table below to navigate to the method you would like to use:
1. Using the New Message Yourself Feature (Easiest)
Using the new feature that lets you message yourself on WhatsApp, you can now text other people without saving their number. Here’s how this method works:
- Firstly, head to the “Message yourself” chat with your phone number and (You) label in WhatsApp. Then, type or paste the unsaved phone number here and send it to yourself.
2. Now, the unsaved phone number will appear blue in the chat. Tap on the phone number and select “Chat with <phone number>” to message the person without saving their contact information.
3. The chat window for that unsaved number will open on your screen, and you can message them with ease.
2. Click on Unsaved Contact Number in WhatsApp Group
The second method we will use to message WhatsApp users without saving their contact numbers is pretty common. If you are in a group chat but don’t have a number saved on your device, you can still message them using the steps below:
1. First, open the group chat and tap on the number in the conversation itself. You will then see a pop-up, where you need to select the “Message <phone number>” option.
2. If you can’t locate the phone number in a group chat, tap the group’s name at the top to head to the settings. Then, scroll down to the participants list and look for the unsaved phone number. Tap the phone number to see the “Message <phone number>” option in a pop-up as above.
3. Using either the first or second step, you will be transferred to the individual chat window and can text the user without adding their number to your phonebook. If you use WhatsApp regularly and care about your privacy, we suggest you also check out our guide on how to hide your last seen and online status on WhatsApp.
3. Using WhatsApp Link to Text Without Adding Contact
For the longest time, WhatsApp has offered an official method to message someone without saving their number. Called Click to Chat, this feature allows you to use an official WhatsApp link to text anyone without saving their contact information. There’s a major caveat, though. This feature isn’t available within the app, but it works on both mobile phones and computers. Here’s how you can use it:
1. First, open your preferred web browser on Android or iOS. Then, copy this link –
https://wa.me/phone-number and paste it into the browser’s address bar. We suggest you also paste this link into the Notes app for safekeeping and later use.
2. After pasting the link, replace
phone-number in the link with the full phone number with the international country code of the user you wish to message. You don’t need to add any symbols (+ and -), zeros, or brackets while entering the phone number.
For example – If you wish to message someone in India, you will use a link like this – https://wa.me/918765432109. Here, 91 is the country code for India, and 8765432109 is the phone number. Similarly, you can use “1” before the phone number in the US.
3. Once you visit the link, you will see a “Continue to Chat” button to directly message the WhatsApp user without saving their contact. Tap on this button to open the chat window.
4. Once you tap the button, a chat window in the app will open to let you text the person without adding their phone number.
Note: If you enter a number that doesn’t belong to a WhatsApp user, you will see an error message in the app. It will read, “The phone number <number> isn’t on WhatsApp.“
4. Use Truecaller to Send Message Without Saving Number
Many Android and iOS users have the Truecaller app on their devices to filter out spam calls and messages. Well, you might not know this, but you can use Truecaller to send WhatsApp messages without adding a number. Here’s how it works:
1. If you do not have Truecaller (Free, with in-app purchases) installed on your device, download the app for Android and iOS.
2. Next, open the app and enter or paste the number you wish to message in the search bar at the top. Then, tap on the contact’s name identified by the Truecaller app to see more details.
3. On the contact details page in Truecaller, you will see the option to send them a message on “WhatsApp” without saving their phone number. Truecaller will instantly redirect you to the unsaved contact’s chat window, as shown below.
5. Using WhatsApp Unsaved Number Shortcut on iPhone
If you are a hardcore iOS user that likes to use Siri shortcuts for various tasks like ejecting water from iPhone speakers, viewing the file size, or quickly taking a picture, then you would appreciate the existence of this Siri shortcut to message unsaved numbers on WhatsApp. Here’s how you can use it:
1. Head to this link in Safari (or any other browser) on your iPhone to get the “WhatsApp Unsaved Number” Siri shortcut. The link will redirect you to the Apple Shortcuts app, where you need to tap the “Add Shortcut” button at the bottom.
2. It will now appear under “All Shortcuts” in the Shortcuts app. To use it, tap the “WhatsApp Unsaved Number” shortcut. You will then see a privacy notification to allow the shortcut to access WhatsApp’s click-to-chat feature.